A Travellerspoint blog


First Week


Hey everyone..

I've made it to Australia!! Wooo Hoooo.. It's so hot and gorgeous out here. The flight was very long but I managed to sleep through a lot of it. I was very impressed with the food but I had thought there would have been more newer films to watch! I watched Peter Pan TWICE and still didn't get to see my favourite bit because I was sleeping!!

I arrived Monday 29th Dec at 9am. I got on the bus with to others (a girl from Canada and a guy from Biringham). Once at the hostel we couldn't check in till midday so me and Michael (birmingham guy) went for a walk to the Bridge and Opera House. They say it was 20mins walk but it was a good half hour/40mins (at my pace anyway!). They were impressive but the Bridge didn't look as fantastic as I had original thought (bit shabby if u ask me!). lolz.

We didn't hang around long as I wanted to check in and have a shower, freshen up and that. After a shower we explored the hostel which has a very small pool at the top and BBQ area. That evening was a BBQ so we thought we'd go there later. In the mean time we walked to the Work and Travel Company office (WTC) and got our starter packs early with sim card and map.

I came back and put my head down for a while. I then woke up for the BBQ but felt like I was on a boat, swaying all over. Wasn't a nice feeling and the lift up to the top didn't help. I didn't eat anything and went quickly back to my bed. I conked out about 9pm and slept hard till 5am were I woke up and couldn't sleep again.

That morning was the orientation were they went through pretty much everything. it was lots to take in and quite over-whelming.

After, I went over to Darling Harbour for a refreshing drink and some wedges with a couple of the boys. Spent the rest of the day with them and finding the cheapest bars/pubs we could. Was a fun chilled out day really. When I got back there were 3 new girls in my room fast asleep. I soon joined them.

Again I slept nicely till 5:15am and couldn't sleep. This time I got up and rang home. Then went to sort some stuff out at WTC. I then did a little bit of shopping.

Came back to hostel and met up with Michael. We were advised to go to Macquaries point so we qued up for over an hour but hardly moved in the miles and miles long cue so took advise for locals and got the train to Milsons Point the other side of the river. There were soo many people around and we manged to nab a sitting point under some trees. We had 5hrs 45mins to hang around now!! Great fun. The 9om fireworkz came and went and we decided we need a better place to watch the 12o'clock ones. The fireworks were AMAZING!! We very very close to them and I have the first minute recorded. They were definately an experience not to miss. Getting back wasn't so great. Millions of people pushing and shoving. Spent half n hour crushed in a crowd waiting for the bridge to open. Walking back took couple hours. We walked absolutely miles!! George St was filled with so much fun and people throwing up everywhere!! It would have been sooooo much better if I was one of them!!

The next day was nice. I walked around Sydney towards the Opera House but using side roads. it was really nice seeing different things. A man playing the digaridoo (can't spell i know!) was pretty damn good. I walked round the Opera House taking many pictures and then found a spot on the grass over looking the Opera and the Bridge. I spent couple hours there, reading things to see and do in Australia as I don't have many plans as of yet! I walked back in the evening and met the three girls in my room were we all went for a few drinks and all you you can eat pizza. It was a really nice evening. They're from Norway but they all have amazing English. We introduced so drinking games and one was they weren't aloud to speak in Norweign!!

Well here I am now. Just about to go to WTC and sort out my next two weeks. I was suposed to rent a campervan with the boys and drive down to Melbourne and the great ocean road but it fell through so I now have two weeks before my surf camp on the 19th Jan. Going to Bondi beach aswell today with the girls. Can't wait!

Posted by kfeaster 14:27 Archived in Australia

Email this entryFacebookStumbleUpon

Table of contents

Be the first to comment on this entry.

This blog requires you to be a logged in member of Travellerspoint to place comments.

Enter your Travellerspoint login details below

( What's this? )

If you aren't a member of Travellerspoint yet, you can join for free.

Join Travellerspoint